Summer is winding down and harvest time is in full swing. Here are the top ten reasons why you should visit the Tyngsboro farmer’s market this week. Thank you to Mother Earth News for reminding us why buying local produce is sustainable and just makes good sense.
1. Feed your family the freshest food.
Farmer’s markets offer the freshest food around—usually only hours from the field—so you get top quality, perfectly ripe flavor.
2. Help the environment.
Eating locally saves vast amounts of packaging waste and energy required to ship food around the globe.
3. Shop organic for global health.
Farmer’s markets attract vendors who use organic growing methods, meaning you gain access to food free of synthetic pesticides. Plus, buying organic supports good land stewardship.
4. Become part of your community.
Festive and lively, farmer’s markets are social venues where you bump into friends and meet local farmers face to face.
5. Support local farmers and your local economy.In an era when sustainable farmers struggle to survive, farmer’s market profits—which go straight into growers’ pockets—help keep small farms alive.
6. Save money.Buying from farmers eliminates the cost of the middleman and pricey shipping, so you get more value for your dollar.
7. Learn about food.
Kids and adults alike enjoy exploring firsthand how foods are grown, harvested, and eaten by browsing market stalls and talking to farmers.
8. Boost your nutrition.
Tantalizing produce displayed in farmers’ bins and baskets encourages you to eat more fruits and vegetables, so it’s easy to consume the recommended five servings a day.
9. Treat your senses.
Experiencing the colors, smells and tastes of a farmer’s market is a sensual experience that connects you to the land.
10. Find new cooking ideas.
Community chefs at the farmer’s market are happy to share recipes for in-season foods.
Be sure to visit our facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/TyngsboroFarmersMarket